– A panel of outside advisers to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Friday voted against approval of a booster dose of the Pfizer Inc/BioNTech SE COVID-19 vaccine for people aged 16 and older."FDA advisers vote to oppose Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine booster"
– AT&T Inc’s HBO Max streaming service has halved its subscription fees in a limited-period offer to lure back millions of subscribers it lost after dropping out of Amazon.com Inc’s Prime video channels. The limited-time promotion offer of $7.49 per month – for up to six months – is available through Sept. 26 for users who accessed HBO via Prime video channels as well as all new and returning HBO Max subscribers, the company said…"HBO Max slashes prices in limited offer as streaming wars heat up"
– The long-running feud between Brooks Koepka and Bryson DeChambeau has the potential to inspire the American team instead of weighing them down at next week’s Ryder Cup, Team Europe captain Padraig Harrington said on Friday. Koepka and DeChambeau have been involved in public spats for more than a year, with U.S. Ryder Cup captain Steve Stricker having to step in last month to broker peace between the duo. Harrington, however, said that the animosity…"Golf – Rift between Koepka and DeChambeau can inspire the U.S. team, warns Harrington"
LONDON – U.S. Open champion Emma Raducanu on Friday said that re-watching her stunning victory in this month’s final felt like watching someone else, adding that her achievement had started to sink in but it was still difficult to fully comprehend. The 18-year-old Briton took the tennis world by storm when she beat Canada’s Leylah Fernandez, 19, in straight sets last weekend to become the first qualifier in the men’s and women’s game ever to…"Tennis – Reviewing U.S. Open final win felt like watching someone else – Raducanu"
– Europe’s drugs regulator said on Friday it could not confirm if women and young adults were at a higher risk of rare blood clots with low platelets following vaccination with AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine after it studied available data. Limitations in the way the data was collected meant that the European Medicines Agency could not identify any specific risk factor that made the condition, thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS), more likely, it said ."EU fails to confirm if women, young adults at higher clot risk from AstraZeneca shot"
– The debate over whether Americans should receive a booster dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine moves to a panel of independent expert advisers to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Friday. While U.S. health officials, some other countries and vaccine makers have said boosters are needed, many scientists and vaccine experts disagree. The FDA staff said in documents prepared for the committee this week that the vaccine Pfizer Inc developed with Germany’s BioNTech…"U.S. COVID-19 booster debate moves to FDA vaccine advisory committee"
– The British government will on Friday consider easing England’s COVID-19 rules for international travel, a late-season boost for airlines, holiday and tourism companies which say they will not survive another winter of onerous rules and red tape. DEATHS AND INFECTIONS * Eikon users, see COVID-19: MacroVitals for a case tracker and summary of news EUROPE * Spain will give a third vaccine dose to nursing home residents and other vulnerable groups, while data showed…"Factbox – Latest on the worldwide spread of the coronavirus"
– The United States is developing a “new system for international travel” that will include contact tracing for when it eventually lifts travel restrictions that bar much of the world’s population from entering the country, a senior White House official said on Wednesday. DEATHS AND INFECTIONSEUROPE * Spain will give a third dose of COVID-19 vaccine to nursing home residents and other vulnerable groups, the Health Ministry said on Thursday, and released data that showed…"Factbox-Latest on the worldwide spread of the coronavirus"
– The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said on Thursday it has revised its emergency use authorization for Eli Lilly’s COVID-19 antibody cocktail to include for use after exposure to the virus in patients who are at high risk for progression to severe disease. The cocktail, bamlanivimab and etesevimab, is authorized for use in people 12 years and above with mild-to-moderate infection and are at high risk for progression to severe COVID-19."FDA revises Lilly’s COVID-19 antibody combo EUA for use after exposure to virus"
– Pfizer Inc said on Thursday it was recalling all lots of its anti-smoking treatment, Chantix, due to high levels of cancer-causing agents called nitrosamines in the pills. The drugmaker paused distribution of the drug in June, and has already recalled a number of lots of the medicine so far. Pfizer asked wholesalers and distributors on Thursday to stop the use and distribution of the tablets immediately. The company said there was no immediate risk…"Pfizer recalls all lots of anti-smoking drug over carcinogen presence"